Good & Bad...but still Good

I'm waiting.

They say that after 3 days you might experience the "baby blues."  All those lovely endorphins that have been coursing through your system for the past 9 months should now be depleting.  And this might leave you feeling...depleted.  Combine this with the sleepless nights, sore boobs, lack of any outside contact, and stitches in a place you just don't want to think about stitches being...many new moms find themselves in a state of temporary depression.

I'm still waiting.  

Maybe it's because I have a support team worthy of supporting a group of Everest climbers instead of just one new mum.  Having Mom and Kiki here was a great decision - we're so lucky to have family who can drop everything to come hang out on the other side of the world with us - simply to do housework and get an unlimited supply of baby cuddles.

So we're all still waiting.  For this to get hard.  And maybe it is hard, but how can anything actually feel 'hard' when the view every time you look down is this:


Soft and sweet baby noggin.


Edited to add:

I started writing this last Monday, and wouldn't you know it?  Tuesday was a HARD day.  All I seemed to do was listen to a screaming baby, try (and fail, many times) to get him to feed, and sleep - and yet I never managed to actually feel rested.  I didn't shower, I didn't get dressed, I'm pretty sure I didn't even manage to brush my teeth.

And then Toff got home from work (which that day entailed ripping down the ceilings of the shop and getting repeatedly showered with 130 years of dust & grime and 50 year old powdery insulation) and he poured me a bath.  Complete with candles and a cup of camomile tea perched beside it.  And I soaked and relaxed and let all of the stress and soreness release itself from my poor, tired body.  And then, at the end of my bath, Toff brought Trip in and we got to float around together.  And let me tell you, after a day where you have done nothing but make your baby scream, seeing him so content feels endlessly rewarding.  Maybe it's because he was born in the bath, maybe it's because his parents both have practically sprouted gills we're so addicted to the water, but this kid loves bath time.

Here are a few more photos, taken the first time Trip got to enjoy snuggling into the sling Toff's mum (shortly to be known by the Grandmotherly moniker of Jammie) bought for us:




And you know what?  Since that day we've had mostly good days, but a few bad too.  I, personally, am still waiting for that voice inside my head to stop screaming I'M SO HAPPY.  Because even with the bad days, everything is still really, really good.

Coming soon (I promise!): a birth story and a naming story!  

Comments

Popular Posts