Before the End

First let me just say that I am hiding in the living room because Kiki is teaching Mom how to use our espresso machine. Which involves lots of steam and hot metal. And because we are Newcombs...lots of screaming.  In case you weren't aware, we can be a pretty loud bunch.  

Okay....success!  Mom now has a coffee and apparently Kiki is a great teacher because it turned out beautiful!  (I'm sure you'll be able to head over to Mom's FB page in a few moments to check out a photo of it).

Now.  About September.  

Did you know that Australia is soooo faaarrr from the rest of the world, that the seasons here actually begin on a different day than every other country in the world?  Everywhere else (everywhere else) in the entire world, seasons begin and end on the 21st of the month to coincide with the solstice and equinox.  This is not something you can change.  As far as I am aware, that is a perfectly acceptable, logical reason for a season to begin and end.  However, in Australia, their seasons begin on the first of every month.    Now, I wish I could offer you a reason as to why they decided to do this...but I'm afraid that the answer is just going to have to be, "because."  Australians themselves can't even agree about this - half of them support the date change, and half doesn't.  Which creates some rather entertaining arguments. It does seem a little silly to me, it's not like by calling a certain day of the month the beginning/end of a season, you can in any way affect the weather.  However...it does mean that today is the first day of Spring!  Which I am wholly in support of.  So I think I will decide to support the decision to begin seasons on the first of the month when it means Spring and Summer are here, and be against it when it means Fall and Winter are here.  More summer, less winter.  Perfect!

Also,  how far away did September seem way back when we were in January??  September has been the goal we've been aiming for - the variable light at the end of this long, steadily getting harder to fit in tunnel.  And now, here we are.  And it is now safe to say that me and you, kid, won't come out the other side of this month sharing the same personal bubble.  And because I got in trouble for not sharing this months silhouette here it is:

8 1/2 months pregnant
I am aware that of course I have grown during the last month (Toff is too, I'm increasingly stealing wearing his shirts more and more often now, because my own shirts that have been able to accommodate my belly are no longer able to do so, leaving me with an inch or two of cold exposed skin at the bottom there).  I just didn't think this photo looked any different.  But here you are, you can be the judges yourself.  

So here's to remembering to say "rabbit, rabbit" this morning.  Here's to you baby, and one of these next 30 days becoming the day of your birth.  And here's to you, dear readers - may your September be a little less painful, but equally as joyous as mine!



Comments

Popular Posts