Ketchup, tomato!


So the title really only applies in that this post is going to be a variable catchup of everything happening here at IHOP outside of bakery opening, because I feel like I've been grossly negligent in that area. Terribly sorry. Also: did you know that in Aus they don't reaaallllly call it ketchup (OR catsup), it's just tomato sauce. Having grown up with American movies, however, they all know what ketchup is, and every now and then someone will ask me for some with a really exaggerated American accent...how cute.

Here is a picture:
Toff standing in for the flue for our new Pot Belly


View from the living room looking up: through the ceiling & the attic & up to Toff on the Roof!


With some of his favorite measuring tools.
Can you spy: 2 cereal boxes, 1 box from Amazon, 1 large paperback and 1 spiral bound journal?


As if working 2 jobs (40 hrs/week at the winery & 15 at the Pub) isn't enough...Toff is still tackling household projects. Currently he is working on installing the flue for our pot belly, last weekend he got the pieces all the way up through the ceiling/attic/roof, and now he just has to connect it to the stove! And before you ask - the AC unit there doesn't work, and yes, it might get too hot by the chimney there, but we'll be taking it out soon. But to take it out we need to have bricks to fill the ensuing hole in with, which means we have to have torn down the wall between the living room/kitchen first. (Don't worry, that's on the list for when we have more roommates to help...so if you are one of said upcoming roommates...store up your anger for some demolition!!! Holler.)

He is also working on getting the bakery going! (Of course!) Business proposal writing, apprenticeship organizing (there's a couple who are opening a new bakery in Brighton that is happy to show him the ropes, which is awesome, because they used to be co-owners in one of the best bakeries in SA!) and just overall list-making, brainstorming chaos. And he even finds time to sleep! This man is amazing.

And me? I've been helping in anyway I can...which as of late has meant not much more than sitting on the couch and pointing at things. I've been so tired lately, and just feel like I can't catch up on sleep. Plus I think I'm fighting a cold, but there is nothing wrong with me that I can actively fix, just an overall feeling of "not wellness." So I'll just chug along, sleep in whatever position I find comfortable, and do what I can.

My mind has been free to explore decorating possibilities though. I'm so excited (plus still slightly unbelieving) that I actually have a tangible space to decorate now! I've been decorating cafes and coffee shops in my head since I was 13 and day dreaming in the grass at Fry's Spring Beach Club with Becca McCurdy of one day owning our own old fashioned ice cream parlour (remember that, Becca???). I've even tried to go all official and create an image in Paint that I can decorate. I am open to any and all design recommendations, especially if you have a favorite design website I can visit for inspiration. I have a love-hate relationship with the internet, in that I know there is great information out there for me...but it could be just around the corner and I could never actually find it.

In other news today's KIKI COUNTDOWN is the ridiculously low number of FIVE. Which also means FridaySaturdaySundayMondayTUESDAY. Gah. Which means I suppose I should try to get her room ready (right now it is serving as Toff's wardrobe room for when he gets dressed for work at 5:30am).

Speaking of countdowns, we're due for another belly silhouette. I'll post it as soon as we've taken it, promise! Baby West countdown is now at 6 weeks. Although I'm mentally preparing myself for another 7 1/2, while Toff is mentally preparing himself for 4. We're both quite ready to meet this kid already! It's the neatest thing - when you feel a hard bit on my belly, and put pressure on it, sometimes Baby will pull away, and then press back again. It's like he/she is playing with us already, and we (Toff especially) can't wait to play face-to-face. And I know that there is supposed to be this big scary thing called "labor" to go through before we get to play, and call me crazy (please, by all means, call me crazy, I certainly realize that that is, in fact, what I am about to say should classify me as) but I'm looking forward to it! I really am. I know it's going to hurt. Bad. But I also can't imagine something...anything, more natural and empowering than bringing a life...to life! I'm also in the process of learning how to be an active member in this labor and take control of it, instead of just a helpless bystander. I'll let you know how that goes.


That is all for now, kind readers. I will leave you with warm thoughts of sunny winter days and Sunday afternoons spent at the Almond Blossom Festival in Willunga.


Comments

Popular Posts