Bun in the Oven. And bagels and croissants and pies and biscuits...

I've been cooking.

29 weeks and counting.

and so has Toff.

Toff's homemade bagels.

Curled up on the couch with my book last night, my belly casting a shadow over the pages and seeing baby's little kicks and turns and punches (ow!) mapped out on the shifting surface of my rounding stomach. I guess that was never something I really thought about: sure there is a person in there, but did you know that you can SEE when they move? How absurd. And mesmerizing.

In other news, I went on a mammoth shopping spree to a thrift store called Savers last week. Can you picture me waddling up to the dressing room, bearing the weight of at least 25 different items of clothing, then trying to hang them, one by one, on the lone hook on the back of the door? I think I was in that little fluorescent-lit stall for at least 30 minutes. But I don't remember the last time I was so excited for new clothes! Highly recommended ladies, when you are pregnant - wait until you're at about month 6 and you are feeling energized and curvaceous and happy, then take yourself shopping through other peoples clothing. It's funny really, I have never worn clothing this stretchy or tight in my life...but there is something about this belly that is so addictive I just want to show it off.

In other, other news...are you listening, I mean, really listening? Toff and I are currently in the beginning phases of trying to open a bakery. Which seems as absurd and mesmerizing as my baby-filled moving belly. You see, the old General store nearby (a 150 year old stone building) has gone for sale. And it has gone for sale at a really good price. And it is the perfect spot for a bakery. And somehow, Toff's enthusiasm for this project has convinced his mum and her partner to put an offer on the building so we can try to make this work. Are you laughing yet? I feel like laughing at us, most of the time.

I'll let you know how it all works out, but for now we are looking for business partners/people interested in opening a collective with us, and baking up a storm. Along with the fresh bagels (which turned out so freakin' delicious I might begin to believe we can pull this off) Toff is on the warpath and we are making the famous Aussie meat pie, croissants, bread and rolls from scratch. I think that's all for now, but there are at least three different types of fresh made dough "resting" in our fridge and a bag of flour the size of a 3 year old child in our cabinet.

But I don't remember ever being so happy...


Comments

  1. so exciting. i want to skype with you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps you look beautiful.. and the bagels look so yummy. bodo's watch out : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts