Felicity, Molly, Addy, Kirstin, Samantha and...Cara?

That's right. In case you have forgotten. I, too, am an American Girl.

Lately I've found myself embracing (also: searching for, building, cooking, and finding adequate substitutes for) many Americanisms that I am only now realizing I have. Moving to a new country (that I love) with a man (whom I love) that has food, views, and weather that I find amazing(love?), has meant that the past year and a half have been spent discovering and enjoying new things, like the 8 year old at heart that I am. No snow? Perfect. I've always been a summer girl. Christmas on the beach? How exotic! Salt and pepper squid and other fresh seafood caught on a beach I can walk to? Yes, please!

Now, I think the novelty is wearing off and I am craving* normal things, different things, AMERICAN things. Yellow mustard (which is called American mustard here). Tuna served plain with mayo and diced celery instead of the pre-flavored cans you find here. (Which ARE wonderful, so delicious! But a girl needs some simplicity too!) Mom's pasta salad (that one was a big hit with my house). Ritz with sliced cheese and green olives instead of water crackers and "exotic thai" dip. My cravings don't end with food either. I still say to-may-to instead of to-mah-to (a girl at work foolishly suggested I begin saying it the Aussie way since I'm here now....but that, I told her, would make me a FAKER.pshaw.)

I think I am finally beginning the process of building myself a little nook that can embrace and highlight the things I love from both of my homes at the same time. I am, after all, an AUS
USA girl!

* and yes, before you go there, by "cravings" I do not mean weird, pregnancy induced pickle-and-peanut-butter urges. Simply normal humanly wants and needs resurfacing after being banished from thought by new, shiny things.

Holler!
Cara


Comments

Popular Posts