I know, right?!

Has anyone ever pointed out a habit you have - that you didn't even know you had - but now that they pointed it out, it's glaringly obvious that you do, in fact, say "I know, right?!" several times a minute. Oops. My accent along with various American idioms have become a constant source of entertainment for those at work, on both sides of the bar actually. The other day we covered topics such as how I can't say "Hannah" properly (YOU try saying names with an Australian accent!), how I say spices differently (I say cumin, you say coomin, oreganO =or.eGANo, and basil = bahsil), and Hannah's latest discovery was how American's use "i know, right" as a common phrase. I assured her that, no, I don't think that's a terribly common phrase...I'm pretty sure that one just belongs to this particular American. But now I can't stop noticing when I say it! And I can't stop saying it either! Oh dear.

Speaking of "oh dear," Toff left yesterday morning to spend a month in the Grampians (a mountain range over in Victoria) working at an outdoors camp run by his old high school. It's a pretty neat program actually - in year 8 (and yes, here it is "year 8" instead of "8th grade") the students all take classes pertaining to surviving outdoors and safetly and all that jazz, and then in year 9 they go away for 2 weeks to put it into action. So Toff is teaching the kids rock climbing and abseiling and canoeing and mtn biking. The kids (now this is my favorite part) also have to go on a one night solo journey, where they go off into the bush somewhere and have to build their own structure to sleep in and they can't bring anything to entertain them like ipods or books. I'm sure some of them cheat and just meet up with a friend somewhere out there, but I still think it's pretty neat.

And while Toff's away I'll just be here, working and saving money (I'm happy to report that I reached Octobers saving goal a whole week ahead of schedule!). Next weekend (Nov 7) I'm going out to stay with Toff for the long weekend he has between the 2 camps he's working. Last time I was here Jen and I went over and we had a great time lounging in the sun, drinking wine, and watching kangaroos.

It's weird, being here with out him. Although, I think it would probably be weird being anywhere without him now. We've always spent an inordinate amount of time together, for any couple. After our first date we were practically living together, and since then the longest gaps we've had away from each other have been visa-dicated. But maybe that's it, you know (right?), since we have to be apart sometimes, and who knows when something will happen regarding either of our home countries that will make it impossible for us to see each other, that when we are together we make sure to absorb as much as we can.

We've been reading a book entitled "How to Save your Marriage Before it Starts." Don't laugh!...ok, you can laugh. But in our defence we didn't buy it, we found it at the garage sale his uncle had last weekend. Someone had given it to Stu and Karen before they got married, and it had a lovely inscription inside. It is a little out-dated, but it's been fun reading and talking about the things we agree with and the things we don't. We know this is going to be hard, but I think it's worth the risk, and I'm also excited to see where we end up over the years.

I tried to upload some photos for you...but the computer's not cooperating, so I'll upload them to facebook and you can go have a look there :-)

Until next time!
Peace and Love!!!!

Comments

  1. HAHAHAHA. You had to know I would laugh at that. Glad everything is going well and I miss you oodles. And I think I just say "right"... and how about that phase you went through where "stellar" was THE word. SMOOCH.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts