On the other side of the world

Did you know that the distance between New York City and Perth in Western Australia is the greatest distance on earth you can travel before you start heading back the other way?

So, here in South Australia I am, almost literally, as far away from home as a person could possibly be. Isn't that astounding? It is an awfully far ways away, and yet, when I'm feeling sad, the distance has the ability to seem much longer. But when I'm happy and busy and content it doesn't seem that far away at all.

Today was a happy and busy and content sort of day. After a one hour round trip walk to run some errands (the most important of which was enjoying a coffee and reading my book in a cafe of course :D) I returned home and (after dutifully calling mother and sister) began cleaning. Which doesn't sound all that happy. But it is when you blast music and dance in the I'm-the-only-one-home-and-in-a-good-mood sort of way. Plus it's good to be productive every now and again, and it does really feel good to be in a clean house, doesn't it?

Also contributing to my happiness: Toff and I actually have a day off together! Which is becoming a rare phenomenon, believe me. In order to celebrate we're heading into the city for the first time since our return to Oz to wander and probably get some coffee and probably take some pictures. How exciting!

Now, I will leave you with a quote from Bill Bryson's Down Under, the travel journalist's tribute to Australia. If you haven't read any of Bryson's work you really should, he's quite possibly the funniest author out there. And, also to his credit, he is infatuated with Australia. So, without further ado, here is the last paragraph of his book:

"...because once you leave Australia, Australia ceases to be.
What a strange, sad thought that is. I can understand it, of course. Australia is mostly empty and a long way away. Its population is small and its role in the world consequently peripheral. It doesn't have coups, recklessly overfish, arm disagreeable despots, grow coca in provocative quantities or throw its weight around in a brash and unseemly manner. It is stable and peaceful and good. It doesn't need watching, and so we don't. But I will tell you this: the loss is entirely ours.
You see, Australia is an interesting place. It truly is. And that really is all I'm saying."


And that is all I have for now folks.
Stay tuned because now I'm going out for round 2 of "Cara learns to drive a manual car on the wrong side of the road." And someone might want to make sure Toff and I are both a) still alive, and b) speaking to each other.

Cheers!
Cara

Comments

Popular Posts