One Year Ago Today

This time last year I woke up 9 months pregnant.  

I was 9 months pregnant, and thought that there was no way we were meeting this baby anytime in the next week.  But exactly one year ago today, I woke up 9 months pregnant, and wasn't feeling quite right.  I had a cramp in my lower back, but thought, "today is my due date.  Surely I'm not going into labour."  

But I was wrong.

I read for a while.  And when the pain didn't go away I went to take a shower.  And when the pain still didn't go away, I went to lie in bed and watch Gotye's "Somebody I used to Know" video clip on repeat.  And when the pain still didn't go away, I finally admitted to myself that something might be happening.  I didn't want to tell anyone.  I went to hide in my room and savour this secret that felt so big and so wholly mine.  Eventually Kiki came to find me so I told her I thought we might be meeting this baby today.  So she came and sat next to me and we continued to watch "Somebody I used to Know" on repeat.  And mom came home from her run, and we told her the same thing.  And she came and sat on the floor too.  

Eventually I called my midwife, who was scheduled to come see me later on anyhow.  We decided just to wait until our original appointment time because it didn't sound like anything too serious was happening.  And I called Toff, who was out learning how to be a baker, and I told him not to dally on the way home.  

One year ago today I woke up for the last time as "not-a-mother."  

And everyday since I have woken up and had the pleasure of going to get the coolest little guy I know out of bed too.  A little guy who can say "dada" and "mum mum mum" and can "woof woof" at dogs, and even say "boat"  (but only when he is looking at a real one, pictures and toys can't fool him!)  A little guy who is so close to walking, but is just a little afraid of the fall, I think.  He likes to make noise, and he likes to eat with all four of his teeth.  He can clap his hands and when you ask him "how big is Trip?" he will throw both of his arms straight in the air over his head.  His two favorite toys are phones, and cups.  And if you give him a toy, it will magically turn into one of these objects.  If it is even remotely bowl shaped, it's a cup and he will try to drink from it.  If it is anything else, it will go up next to his ear while he chatters away.  He makes friends wherever we go.  He will often stop strangers in their tracks just by looking at them and smiling.  He is, by far, one of the happiest, most social people I know.          







Happy birthday little man.  It has been such a good year.



Love, Mommy

Comments

Popular Posts