Babyface

Would you like to hear a secret?

You know how whenever someone has a baby, everyone crowds around and decides who they think the baby resembles?  Offering suggestions to the new parents on who Junior looks like the most, Mommy, Daddy, or Great Uncle Truman.

Well, I don't get it.  Rarely (and I mean, maybe once ever) have I looked at a baby and thought he/she resembled one parent exactly.  Because, you know...they just look like....BABIES to me.

"I think he has your chin," Toff declared, looking back and forth between my face and our child's, trying to divvy up his various physical traits between the two of us and various other family members.  "No babe, I think he just has a BABY chin.  You know, because he is a baby."

That being said, our son, to me, looks mostly like a baby.  Mom says he looks like me when he is sleeping, and Jen says he looks like Toff when he is screaming (which says volumes, I think, about the type of babies Toff and I were...here's hoping you take after your mommy more little man!)  Traits, I think, pop out more over time.  As children grow, they slowly become more and more like the person they will one day become.

When we were still in the hospital, someone noticed that Trip has my ears.  And, I must say, it's quite funny to see one detailed, specific trait of mine duplicated in miniature.


Tiny, pointy elf ears
 Right away, Aunt Kiki noticed Trip's large feet.  "Can you measure those too?" she asked the midwife recording all of his stats.  Upon inspection later (new moms, you see, spend inordinate amounts of time staring down at their new babies....slowly taking in every single toenail and every last eyelash) I noticed that Trip also has Toff's feet.  The second AND third toes are both longer than his big toe.

Tinger: toes so long and slender they are said to resemble fingers

That's it for now.  Mom and I long ago agreed that our baby would be lucky to get Aunt Kiki's lips,  and Grammy LaBree thinks he should get Jen's hair ("That's the hair I wanted for you, Aimee, and you too, Cara!" she said, looking at a photo of Toff's mum, "how did she get the hair meant for you?!").  

For now, sweet & sleepy, cute & cuddly...
solely & simply, babyface
  

Comments

Popular Posts