50 Pictures I Took of Trip Trying to Get Him to Smile

So far Trip uses his smiles sparingly.  He doesn't respond to tickling or toys; shows no interest in responding when Mummy dances  around like a fool or emits odd beeping sounds*.


Instead he chooses to unleash it when your guard is down.  Rushing over to comfort him because he's crying?  Wham! Blindsided by an ear-to-ear smile!  Bleary eyed and barely awake for a 3am feed? Pow! Breath stolen, knees weakened, heart completely stalled by a wide-mouthed grin. 



 Because there is something so unmistakably powerful about witnessing a person discover how to express their happiness for the first time.    




No smiles caught on film for this one yet**.  Smiling for the camera is just so very...expected.  This child prefers to look at the world and figure things out.  With a look of focused concentration, maybe he's still just deciding what it is that makes him happy.



*Part of me thinks I was just meant to have a baby.  Holding Trip on my lap, keeping him entertained with a bounce and a series of "beeps" and "weee's," all I can think of is how the two of us probably have a very similar entertainment threshold.   

**Yes, I am aware I said "film."  What would you rather I say?  "Memory card" just doesn't have the same catchy feel to it now does it?


Comments

  1. wow that is a look of "focused concentration"... he looks so wise and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts