Reading. 'Riting. Rythm.

There are two things that make me want to write: 1.) the physical act of writing and 2.) reading.

The more I write, the more I want to write. When I haven't written anything in a while I find myself staring at a blank page, with a mind unwilling or unable to produce thoughts that I feel strongly enough about to keep a record of. I can even sit down with the intention of writing, letting my fingers hover over their appropriate keyboard placement, just like I learned in 6th grade typing class. I can even map out the alphabet, keeping eye contact with the computer screen (right hand: pinkie a, pointer finger stretch to b, middle finger cde...) and still there won't be any words that come to me, begging to be set down on this digital page.

The more I read, the more I want to write. There are certain books and certain stories that get my mind moving. That inspire, sometimes after simply one paragraph, words to bubble up in my head. And if I continue to read, the words fill my head and I can feel them spread out - filling the rest of my body, until there isn't room anymore and I can feel them coming off of my skin in curly, smokey wisps.

Since arriving in Virginia I've been waking up early. Not 8am early. 6am early. A time practically unheard of by me for the entire past 6 years. I wake up and settle down on the couch with a book and a cup of juice, waiting for my Folgers drip-pot coffee to be ready (oh how deliciously American is pre-ground coffee with flavored creamer). Waiting for Toff to wake up (again, practically unheard of during the entire duration of our 3 1/2 year+ relationship).

And this morning, reading a book I've read twice in the past 9 months already, I could feel the words bubbling up within me.

Call it inspiration. Call it creative juices. Call it insomnia brought on by jet lag, feeling baby somersaults, or sheer uncontainable excitement about being home* again.

We have been running nonstop since we got here. Between catching up with American friends and American foods and shopping for an American house, we've been going at a steady clip. Highlights so far include dinner with Mom at a restaurant where I ordered an entire rack of ribs. Watching my high school friend Maisie at her Roller derby bout. It was our first time watching roller derby, and I highly recommend it. While the sport itself was great to watch, the highlight for me was watching Maisie block her opponents. Gliding gracefully by on her skates, until with one single, powerful slash of her hips the girl next to her would go down.

We met up with Liam and Aelisa in Alexandria for lunch on Sunday. Liam was in the country until Monday, and considering we had planned on going to their wedding in London this August, but now can't because someone ahem had to go and get knocked up (end of August = 8 1/2 months preggo...) we won't be able to make it, but had to take this chance to see them. There are some people in your life who you realize are worth it. Who you want to make the effort to see when you can, because you know they would make the same effort for you, and that the love they bring into your life is worth whatever energy you have to expend.

Monday and Tuesday we spent looking at real estate. Driving circles, loops and figure eights around the same areas in Charlottesville, meeting different agents and getting a feel for different houses. We made an offer on a 2-storey duplex yesterday (a house you could probably throw a stone to from Mom and Dad's house here on Shamrock Rd) and should hopefully hear today whether we got it or not.

Who would have thought that, at 25, I would be married, poppin' out a baby, and buying a house. Shit people. When did I grow up? (Just kidding.....I have neither the intention nor the desire to officially 'grow up.' Ever.)

Until I get inspired again,
Cara

*Yes. Charlottesville is Home. Charlottesville with always be home. It just so happens that there is also a little brick house with a large Gum tree out front in Port Willunga, South Australia that is home now, too. And will always be home. Now.

Comments

Popular Posts