Quote of the Day

"No one knows you like someone with whom you have shared a childhood.
No one will ever understand you in quite the same way."
-Leslie Harpold

Sitting around the table last night, celebrating Cinco de Mayo (a gloriously un-American holiday that we take as an excuse to eat mexican food). Six of us, old friends from high school, and 4 more that have been carefully stitched into our lives since then. Laughing our asses off. Trading stories - old ones about what we wore in 7th grade, and new ones about when a bat attacks you in your living room. Laughing so hard I couldn't breath, couldn't stop, laughed so hard it hurt.

And this morning, this quote by Leslie Harpold came to mind, and I thought, "true, how true." And then I remembered the last time I laughed that hard - an event I like to call the St Patricks Day Giggle fest that occurred in our kitchen in Port Willunga. The 8 of us, housemates, laughing without breathing for a good 12 minutes. A house full of people, and none of us knew each other before 2008, or in some cases last year, or even just a few months ago.

And I thought, "shit, how did I surround myself with such good friends?" Friends around the world, circling the globe, so that, no matter where we go, there is a friend that you can laugh until you think you might lose your dinner with. Which is a bonus of having two homes, separated by the. entire. world. Which is the downfall of having two homes, separated by the entire world - no matter which one we live in, we will always be missing someone tremendously. Never are we again guaranteed to have all of the people we love in one place ,at one time. (Which is why our wedding was so important to us - but that's another story.)

But hey, it's all an adventure right? I'm just glad I've got such awesome people in my life to explore with.

xo
Cara

Comments

  1. Dad & I have always been happy, proud, amazed and yes, a little relieved by the circle of friends that you and Kiki surrounded yourselves with, such a fun and loving wonderful group of awesome people that has remained so close after all these years is rare and special thing, treasure it and them always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts