A Letter to the Do-ers

I admire the do-ers.

The people who see something they want to do or be or create, and they just...do it!

I am not a do-er.

Don't get me wrong - I Do Things. Things get Done on a daily basis around here. But I am not a do-er.

It occurred to me a few months ago (and it was a miraculous, Aha!/epiphany type of moment) that anything that gets done.... is simply because one person did it. Every festival you see or new business opening or street art that pops up - every new recipe at your favourite cafe or article written for your favourite magazine - or even an entire book! Every thing exists simply because someone wanted it to exist. And then they did it. It used to be so perplexing for me. "Who did this? Who DOES these things!??"

Turns out, just people. Just a person. There is no magical force willing it to happen (or, maybe there is - but as of yet that force doesn't actual do the DOING). There is no team of world-wide doers who do all this work while the rest of us are sleeping. Again....maybe there is - but the real secret is that these people aren't special. They're not different or unique, they posses no extraordinary skills other than wanting a thing to be done and then doing it.

Are you a do-er? Do you create things in your head out of thin air and then get them done?! I so admire you. I do things, sure I do things! But I am not who you call when you need something done.

My husband is a do-er. He is potentially one of the Great Kings of the Do-ers. He can see an empty building or an empty site and create something spectacular in that space. First in his mind, and then really truly in real life! I am in awe of his doing-ness. His do-ability.

But I think, also, that the world needs others, too. People like me who are the watchers. We are do-er adjacent. We watch the do-ers, maybe we even help them! But, if other non-do-ers are like me (and I think probably some of them are!) once we've played a part in the do-ing we're happy to watch again. This is coming from the girl who once climbed all the way to the top of the hi-dive at the local pool, only to climb back down again. I realised I didn't actually want to do that. I was perfectly happy not doing it, in fact. Perfectly happy watching from the side and cheering others on.

So if you are a do-er, a real get-it-done-er, I truly admire you! Keep up the good work, you. Because you realise that anything that gets done, is simply because someone wanted it to be done - and then they did it!


Comments

Popular Posts