America 3: The Original Newcomb Lake House

At this point in our lives Toff and I are getting pretty accustomed to the fact that we just don't know how to do anything other than "crazy busy." Within a span of 6 months, Toff travelled to Italy once and the States twice just this past year. But when you ask what we've been up to our default response is still just to say, "not much, just working."

We are obviously crazy. 

But we know that. And I hope, by now, that you all know that too. 

So when Toff was in the US last January for his best mates wedding, and he called me from Virginia surrounded by my family and a few of our closest friends and told me that he made a plan for us to make a trip to Maine when we would be back in the states later in the year as a family, I simply said, "good idea." 

You see, the time it takes my brain to process abnormal requests is much quicker than it used to be. "I have 3 weeks in the US with my family and friends, and Toff thinks we should spend a good portion of that time dragging 2 toddlers all the way up the east coast after having already dragged them all the way around the world on several long-haul flights? GREAT IDEA." Because at the same time my brain was processing that request, it was also searching for the positives - getting to see our Maine family, spending time at my grandparents lake house, eating lobster, giving my babies a chance to see my grandparents lake house as it would most likely be sold before we could make our next trip over from AUS.  So in the span of about 60 seconds my brain, which has gotten so used to this sort of thing, had already made a quick analysis and decided that YES! Of course we should get to Maine!!! 

In the end, after a few months of researching different ideas with my mom, we decided it would be best (and primarily, much cheaper) to drive up together. 

So that's how we got there. 

Now here are some photos:


Meg & Trip "fishing" with my PopPop and long time family friend, Doug. 

Meggie picking some daisies - specially mowed around just so the great-grandkids could pick them! - with Aunt Kiki
(Aren't my grandparents the best???)

Trip "fishing" with my Aunt Dawn.
(This little fishing game was a BIG hit with my kids, and has now even made it's way to AUS, courtesy of my mom!)

For all of my Australian friends who have never heard of Maine:
it is in the North Eastern corner of the country, bordering Canada.
It is beautiful, with pine trees and birch trees and moose and the best lobster in the world.
But it is also cold. Very, very cold. Swimming there, even in the height of summer, is quite the adventure.

Fishing excursions!

Trip and Alyssa taking a pretend ride on the lawn mower.
PopPop & MeMe's house was Toddler Heaven.
4 wheelers, boats, lots of people to talk to, 4 wheelers...

American Summer On A Plate.
Red hot dog with ketchup, mustard & relish, 1/2 a cheeseburger b/c I just couldn't say no, baked beans, macaroni salad & a few "Maine" extras: fiddle heads, a fern you steam and eat doused in vinegar; and brown bread, a rich molasses bread that comes in a can (funny, but so delicious!)
Happy Cara.

Trip walking around the circle of family members giving each and
every one of them a goodnight hug :)

Graham Lake, about 1 hour west of Bar Harbour.
In winter the lake freezes over, perfect for ice skating or snow mobiling across.

Every morning Trip would hop on the 4-wheeler with PopPop and drive off to get the newspaper from the mail box - 1 mile down the end of the dirt road. And when they got back to the lake house Trip would still cry when it was time to climb off!

Fishing with PopPop - James Francis Sr and James Francis III.

Meggie travelled so well, but had a few moments where she had to be glued to my side.
On this particular day, no one else would do - one hand/foot/head had to be touching Mom at all time.
(As moms, we sigh when this happens, and say "Sweet little baby, why don't you go sit with Memay/Daddy/Granpa?" But really….our little hearts smile, full and content with love.)

PBR! Our favourite (cheap) American beer that costs less than $1.00 per can :)

Meggie may not be speaking yet, but she knows exactly how to get you to do her bidding.
Here she is making my cousin Chelsea transport her around to all of MeMe's wind chimes.

Trip fishing with my cousin Gin. "Caught you!"

Trip's first lobster experience!
We were a little worried about how he was going to feel about EATING a lobster - because up to this point he mostly seemed keen just to keep one as a pet. I thought there might be tears, but thought it best just to dive into the conversation, so he stood next to me as we put the lobsters into the pot, and I told him we were going to eat them…..
"Oh. Coool." No tears. Whew!

Me and Trip and MeMe!
(Notice the matching shirts? My mom made shirts for everyone for
our "Down East Camporee!")

Mimi & Meggie!
Mimi's been our best friend since Kiki and I were 8 - and now she's holding my baby :)
(insert icon of a smiley face with big goggley heart eyes here…)

Trip with my nieces Alanna, Hannah and Lily!
Happy, watermelon face, summertime kids!

Alyssa, Mom, Grammy LaBree & Grampie Gif watching Trip do "yoga."
Obviously.

The house my grandparents built.

Aunt Shari & Mom (Aimee) 

Meggie & Alyssa

Feeding frenzy around the steamers (clams)!
You can't get these in Australia, and I miss them dearly!
Steamed by PopPop, peeled from the still-hot shells and rinsed in water, then dipped in melted butter or vinegar and glided gently into your mouth with a pinch of fingers around their 'necks.'
Careful - don't let them drip on your shirt!
Sweet, salty goodness.
My mouth honestly just started to water!

4 generations of Newcombs.
James Francis Jr. (my dad), James Francis III (my son), Chris (my brother), and James Francis Sr. (my dad's dad).
Also: while Trip's last name is West, we just have to call him a Newcomb sometimes because he resembles my dad SO STRONGLY.
Even though we live across the world, and Trip is only 3, he has so many mannerisms that cause us to say,
"Trip you are such a Newcomb!"
Quite often followed directly by something that causes us to say, "you sure are Toff's son…" Like climbing everything. Or carefully thinking, planning or reasoning his way through everything before doing it.
What a fantastic blend.


Inside during feeding time :)

Toff & Trip playing a card game with Doug,
I'm pretty sure this game was called "Trip Wins."

Doug and his wife, Donna, have been my parents good friends since before both couples were married.  Doug has always remembered all of our birthdays, and makes the effort to come visit us whenever we're close.
I answered the phone at my grandparents house when he called to 'ask' if he could come:
I answer with "Newcomb Nuthouse!"
"Hi! (he doesn't say it's Doug, because he doesn't have to) "We're coming for dinner! You're having dinner tonight, right? Good. We'll bring fiddleheads."
I love this type of friendship. The one without having to knock or wait to be invited, and just thought I would take this chance to give a shout-out to Doug, who is one of the most genuine, thoughtful and fun souls you will ever meet - because I don't imagine people like that get the amount of recognition they deserve.

Trip showing Memay how to fish.

Should we continue on the theme of people who don't get all the recognition they deserve? Let's :)
My mom. Who has to, each and every day, love her daughter and son-in-law and - perhaps cruelest of all -
 grandbabies, from all the way across the globe. She does a great job, sending us little things to remind us all how much she loves us, and never (ever) making us feel guilty for choosing to house our family in a different country.
Moms. They very well may be the strongest strain of humans on earth.

Since becoming a mom, I've been itching to have a little back to slowly rub circles on when someone has a sore tummy or other ailment. When I was 15 and had my first kidney stone, I remember my mom doing this for hooouuurrrs, and it was the most soothing, comforting feeling - just that sense of being so well taken care of. The repetitive friction of the slow, steady circles her hand made in gentle pressure on my back.
Trip hasn't ever let me do it, he'll wriggle away or say "stop, Mommy."
But Meg! Little sweet Meggie at 18 months has let me, on a few rare occasions, place her on her tummy and rub her little back, barely big enough for my whole hand, placed flat, to move at all. But it has soothed her back to sleep, and has soothed me into feeling like a good mom who can take care of her babies.
We learn how to parent from our parents,  it's the only reference point we have. Until we bend and shift and stretch the limits to suit our own lifestyle and kids needs.
Luckily my parents gave me a great place to start from. 

PopPop & Meme's neighbours, Dave & Marilyn, drove this little mini golf cart/firetruck over just for Trip to have a ride in - it even had a siren and bell!
More evidence of toddler heaven.

Meggie waving byyyye (as Meggie says) to the firetruck with my Aunt Patty.

Bubbles with MeMe! This kept Meggie happy for a looooong time (and maybe MeMe too a little bit)! :)

See? Who do you think is having more fun? :)

Prepping the campfire pies with PopPop!

Meggie's turn to watch the pies being made with my cousin Katie and her girlfriend Courtney!

Summer in Maine.

The mosquitos may bite, and most days you'd still better bring a jacket out with you, but how green it is! How wild and open with the smell of pine needles under your feet and the brightest, most unrestricted view of the stars at night. And how full of so many people we love. 

And also: seafood.

xx
Cara


One more update to come from our American Adventure: The Virginia Lake House!



Comments

Popular Posts