America - The One With The Road Trip To Maine


Next on our American adventure - 4 adults, 2 little baby/toddler people, 1 minivan, and 780 miles. 

One of My dad's favourite catchphrases is "both my wives and all of my children are Maineiacs." 

Further information that might be helpful for you to know:
1. My dad has only ever had one wife at a time, but my mom and his first wife went to high school together which means, for my family, that my dad's ex-wife has always been an "aunt" for my sister and I. Which actually has been really awesome for all of us! 
2. My parents moved us down to Virginia when my sister and I were 6, and that is where we grew up and still consider "home." 
3. However, a lot of our family is still in Maine, so growing up we made the trip about once every year or two to visit everyone. (Preferably in summer, because Maine is a COLD place in winter, although Toff dreams of spending a winter there one day!)

This summer was a particularly special trip for us, because a) my babies have never been there before, and subsequently have never met a good portion of our Maine-based family and b) my paternal grandparents, who have spent their winters in Florida for the past 11 years, have decided to move there full-time at the end of this summer (photos from their lake house to come in the next post!). 

For our first stop on our Maine Adventure, we spent a couple nights in the coastal town of Rockland, Maine where my aunt and uncle have just opened a restaurant and bar. We danced on the patio, celebrated Alyssa's 19th birthday, ate lobster (pretty sure Maine has the best lobster in the world...I would be willing to hear of other contenders, of course,  but would have to go there and sample it just to be sure) and best of all, got to trade stories, cuddle, dance, and eat lobster with our Maine family who we can not ever possibly spend enough time with. 

Here are some pictures. 



World travelling little babies.
Also pictured: the baby travel entertainment unit - aka, Memay & Mom

My parents (everyone say hiiiiiii Aimee & Jim!!!!)
at our awesome mid-journey lunch stop!

Smile-on-a-stick - what a genius/fun idea!

"Here, Granpa, let me help you pay."

Alyssa & Trip with the GIANT Maine Lobster.

The Chowder House in Rockland, Maine, now run by my Uncle Kevin & Aunt Kathleen
(pictured behind the bar below!)
Kiki, Toff & Chelsea staking out their seats at the bar!

Meggie contemplates giving her Great Grampy Gif a hug!

Mimi & Meggie.
Side note: I cannot put enough words to how AWESOME it is to see my very best childhood friends get to interact with these little babies of mine. It's just…..awesome.

Hiding in the hallway (thanks Kiki for leaving a few beers in our mini-fridge!) while the babies try to get to sleep.
By far the hardest part of travelling for the kids is the sleeping situation - the first night or two
in a new place is always the hardest for them, until they can get comfortable in the new space. We do all we can to get them comfortable, and then find that we just have to make ourselves invisible for a few minutes as they get settled and fall asleep.

Great Grampy Gif, Great Grammy LaBree, and little toddler person Trip.

Mom & Caleb cuddling on some puppies that were up for adoption - I must say I'm a little surprised no one in our group took one of these cuties home with them! 

My cousin Luke showing Meggie one of the puppies!


Livianna, my cousin's daughter - how CUTE is she?????

Meggie taking Granpa for a walk!

New favourite photo. I think Meg looks so much like my sister, Kiki, did as a baby!

Dancing on tables….never too young to start teaching them how to have fun at bars!

Toddler ice-cream sharing!!!!!! Oh, the cuteness! Squeak.

Luke & Meggie and ohmygosh, look how Livi is wiping ice-cream off her daddy's chin!!! Love it.

Livi playing peek-a-boo with her Grammy - my Aunt Debbie.

Mimi bought a hula hoop. Who doesn't need a giant hula hoop?

By a show of hands: who is ready to go inside and eat dinner?

Unintentional matchy-matchy outfits for Alyssa & I!
Also: extra matchy points because both tank-tops are actually the very same made by
Bonds all the way from Australia.

COUSINS!
love. 

Morning stroll down to the docks. Happy Toddler.

Brunch at my Uncle Parker's house

Sunshine and breakfast

We had a lovely couple of days, Rockland is such a cute little town, made even better by all the people we got to see there!

Next up on our American adventure: one last family event at the Newcomb Lake House in Mariaville!

xx
Cara

Comments

Popular Posts