One Year.

I press my lips into the fine, smooth hair just above her ear.

I whisper, feeling the words leave my lips and absorb themselves into her whole being.

"I love you."

...

"Possibly more than you will ever know."



At one year old Margaret Adele is still one of the happiest babies I know.  She loves to clap her hands, especially when you say, "yaaayy Meggiiieee!"  She has just started to say "uh oh" when she drops something, and we may learn to regret encouraging her to drop things just so we can hear her say those two adorable syllables. She can wave bye-bye, and shake her head "no." She is not quite walking yet, but is getting better at standing on her own by the day.  She'll stand against the coffee table, look around at all of us long enough to ensure that we are all looking at her, and then pull both arms up into the air and crinkle her nose like she is performing the greatest act in history.  (Yaayyyy Meggggiiiee!!!)

I can't tell you how much she weighs, or how tall she is because I can never actually seem to remember to find meaning in those kind of numbers.  But I can tell you that she is tall enough to climb onto Trip's chair at his "toddler table," and that she is heavy enough to rock the entire thing when she stands on it and grabs the back with both of her hands.  Little baby girl has the perfect mix of fearlessness to give her bravery and cautiousness to give her a sense of self-protection.

Her favorite food is pizza, and if you have a baby who is approximately one-year-old yourself, I thoroughly encourage you to give him or her a slice.  I can name only a few things that are more adorable than watching her carefully pick off each and every topping, then grab the crust firmly with both hands and focus all of her energy into biting a chunk of crust off.  She also likes strawberries and sausages.  She dislikes mashed potatoes and having to give back any food she steals from the toddler. I don't know who coined the term "like stealing candy from a baby," but I think it is probably being used wrong.  Next time you're over at our house try to take something from Meg, and be prepared to give it right back to her or cover your ears and wait until she gets over the injustice.  ("Yes!" I yell, when Trip steals a toy/food/book from her and she puts her whole body into screaming until he gives it back, "such a strong girl! You tell him, Meg! Tell that big brother you don't think it's fair just because you are littler than he is!!!") So strong.  So sweet with her head resting against your collar bone as she finishes waking up from her nap.

Here's a photo:

















Happy Birthday, little baby girl. You are more than any words I could ever find for you.  


Comments

  1. Gorgeous post Cara, I believe the only way children can quite understand the depth of love for them is to have children of their own....so you have to wait for quite some time, but that's okay because that means you get to continue loving them as they grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts