A Few Good Things

I've had some happy little thoughts running through my brain as of late, so I thought that I would share them with you! (yaaaayyy)

1.  Jello.  I have recently rediscovered my love for jello, and am so excited that there is another bowl setting in my fridge! (Lime, of course, because that is obviously the best flavor.) And what is even better is that, so far, everyone else I make jello for gets equally excited over it.  I felt a little silly buying and making it, thinking that everyone would call me crazy/immature/strange...but if there is ever a time that you can justify indulging in silly treats, surely it is when you are pregnant.  So if you have some weird craving that you're too embarrassed to fulfill, just come on over and I'll get it for you!  Hooray! Also:  here in Aus they call it "jelly," which is totally unacceptable to me.  I'm okay with simply putting "jam" on my toast instead of "jelly," but will never feel okay using any word other than "jello" when describing that jiggly bowl of deliciousness.

2.  Parent of the year. Right here, folks. So I discovered something new about Trip.  He is a good eater, and typically will eat any and all food placed in front of him, which I am so grateful for because it makes my job as a parent that much easier.  But there are a few things he just doesn't like no matter how often he tries them - broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes being at the top of that list.  So the other night, sitting down to dinner, I apologized to him when I realized that what I made basically consisted of those three items, mixed together in a frying pan and served over rice.  "Sorry dude," I said, "I'm not too sure you'll eat any of this..."  But it's what we had, so I sat down to see if I could get any of it to go in....and you know what?  Not only did the kid eat it, but he loved it.  LOVED.  As in eyes wide with excitement after trying one bite, can't wait to have more, kind of love.  So, here is my parenting advice for the year - if there is a food that your kid doesn't like....simply mix it together with other things they don't like, which apparently turns it into some sort of alchemical tempting treat!  Win one for the mom.

3.  Movement.  Not mine, but rather the stationary dancing of my little womb-mate here.  Typically it is believed that your baby should move a certain number of times within a set time period - so if you are worried about how he or she is doing in there, and want to make him or her move just so you know they're okay, simply drink some juice, lie down*, and within ten minutes or so you should feel x amount of kicks.  And that is just something I soooooo do not have to worry about doing with this little one.  This kid can move.  Which he/she exercises his/her right to frequently and with little concern for anything that might be in the way.  (...Namely....me.  And my organs.) And I really don't think that Trip moved this much.  He moved enough so that I never became concerned over his health, but typically when I was up and walking around during the day, I didn't feel much from him.  And when I would lie down at night I would feel a few kicks and rolls, but nothing like this!  This kid never stops moving!  I'll be making coffees at work, minding my own business, and wham!  Take that, Mom!  And then I rub my tummy and probably make some weird face...and the people I'm serving probably think I'm crazy or constipated or something because they can't see my swollen belly behind the purple coffee machine.  So then I say something like, "keep it down in there," or, "good one, kid."  Which, in retrospect, probably does little to allay the "let's get out of here this woman is crazy" fears of my customers.  Oops.

Well kids, that's about all I have for now.  I do have some cute pictures to share, but sadly our internet has run out for the month, so our connection will be too slow for me to upload anything until the end of the week.  So until next time, adieu.

xox
Cara

*to those of you who haven't read three different "what to expect..." books, the reason you lie down is because when you are up and walking, the baby is generally rocked to sleep.  So by lying (or sitting) down, the lack of motion should wake him or her up so they can start to boogie.  Apparently rolling around in our sleep is something we pick up later in life, when we have blankets to get all tangled up in.  

Comments

Popular Posts