7 Months with Kiki

The last time I lived in the same house with my sister for more than 5 months we were 18.  We were 18 and in high school and both a little bit scared about where we were going next.  She was going to college at JMU, to live in a dorm and run to classes clutching nothing but a pencil when her alarm didn't go off on time.  I was going to fly over to California to join AmeriCorps for 10 months to do some good and try to figure out where I wanted to go next.

We were 18 and it was 7 years ago and we had all the same friends who we would hang out with in the parking lot of Harris Teeter or downtown in front of Christian's Pizza on a Friday night.  7 years ago I would hear stories of siblings who didn't see each other for 5 years, and I would think, "wow, how is that possible?"  Now, I get it.  I live in Australia.  I totally get how easy it is for time to just....go.

I understand how siblings can literally grow apart.  As we grow up we get more space between us.  Trees growing with roots in the same ground but branches that grow and twist and tangle into different worlds with different air and more space.  But every now and then, one tree can send a branch over to the other to see what the air is like over there.  It is needed to sustain the health and energy of both trees, I think.

So Kiki grew over here for a spell.  She sent a branch over, and even though she's growing back in Virginia now, we still have that branch here to keep us connected.

Here's a photo.

Big belly and a bouncing Kiki

Walks to the beach

And Mama tree sent a branch over too.
There was a lot of gardening to be done.

And a lot of baby cuddles to be had.

Normal.

We certainly kept her busy.  Back when the bakery was still being renovated...

And the baby still needed help holding up his head.

The beach.  Our beach.

I think this is probably how they are best used.

And before you yell at me, sister, for having mostly photos of the back of your head,
here is exhibit a of what happens to your face when I try to take your photo 80% of the time.

Cuddles with Aunt Kiki


And so it was.  For seven months we got a Kiki to help garden and renovate and cuddle the baby with.  And we got to show her our life for a while - which I hope will keep us connected until our branches can meet and grow together again.

Love, 
Cara

Comments

Popular Posts