tick tock

Okay okay ... so I realize that despite my promise to post more frequently, almost an entire month has passed since I posted my promise. Roopsie poopsie.



In my defence, time here passes more rapidly than time in other parts of the world.



Okay ... maybe not. BUT these past 6 months have been the fastest passing 6 month stretch in the entire history of me. For example: did you know that I've been in Oz for 6 months now? See?! Didn't that just fly by?! Also: as of last Thursday there are exactly 4 months between Toff, myself, and marriage. Which means ... we're getting exciiiiiited! All of the 'what if's' and 'hm, maybe we should's' are behind us (which really was the most difficult part - just wondering if all the many choices you were making are the right choices to make. Like choosing which continent to get married on, for example. :-) So here is my piece of advice for wedding planners to be - make your decision about where/when/how/who/whatever you want for your wedding, and stick by it! It will turn out perfectly. Promise. And now we get to sit back and do the fun things, like spend all the money we've been saving, get everyone over here, and make sure Toff's dreads are fully formed. And having a mini photo shoot down on the beach in nice weather, partially so we can have some pictures in nice weather, but mostly so we don't have to spend all day standing in front of a camera while all of our fam/friends get to kick back and DRINK! Aaaaannd I'm done talking wedding, let's move on.



We have a pet! A pet pigeon. His name is Steve (it's a good name). Here is Steve chilling on the windowsill of our laundry room. And yes, he is balancing on top of a beer carton, and yes, said beer carton WAS placed there to deter Steve from nesting on our windowsill (which happens to be on the other side of a pane of glass from the sink we brush our teeth at). And no ... our obstacle does not appear to have any affect on Steve's level of comfort. He doesn't even seem to mind when we go in and out of the door right beside him. He's just chillin' ... yo.


In other news, Toff and I have both been thinking about Charlottesville a lot lately. I don't know if it's because summer is ending here, and we don't want our perpetual summer to end or what. For my part, I miss the fullness of Virginia the most. The landscape here feels so empty in comparison. I just keep picturing the mountains and the big oak trees in Va, when in summer everything looks so full and green. But here the trees are smaller and the grass is brown, and there are fewer buildings so you can see more of the open horizon too. As for Toff, he's never lived in C'ville, but I guess the time he has spent there left a good impression (that's my girl c'ville!) Or maybe he's started to get the empty feeling too, and just wants to live somewhere with more people and where you can walk places. Let me say for the record though, that while I have missed not being able to walk to the dodger or to the grocery store, being able to walk to the beach is a more than adequate trade.


In any case, our plans for the next 2 years at this point in time are shaping up to include our honeymoon roadtrip around Australia from August - December, then back to Adelaide so I can work the xmas season at the Victory cuz it's their busiest time, and so Toff can work another vintage at McLaren Vitners (where Rosie and Devin will hopefully be joining us again too!). Then we'll head back stateside around May or so. That's really as far as we've gotten :) But I think we would both like to spend some time in C'ville, we might even see if we can buy a house there that we can rent out when we're not around. We also want to live in Portland sometime, but we'll see where in our timeline that fits in! As I noticed when I was describing my current life situation to my AmeriCorps friend Jamie in a recent email, there seems to be quite a few question marks in my life lately, and I'm enjoying it immensley! :-)

Now this southern girl has to get herself ready for dinner! Love you all ginormously, and will talk to you soon!
MUAH!
Cara

Comments

Popular Posts