Notable Quotable

Who remembers the 30 pages of quotes I had saved on my computer in high school?? Anyone? (Beuller?...) But, alas, when my computer died last year (or at least suffered in a vegetative state for a long stint) I lost all of my quotes. sad face.

I used to love collecting quotes, I guess I just like the idea that one little phrase can find a place to fit perfectly inside you somewhere - because that's what I feel like when I read a good quote. So I would like to share some of my favorites with you now. And I think it says a lot that I haven't read any of them in over a year, but the spot they must have found in me must be a good one!

A piece of a poem by Edna St Vincent Millay:
We were very tired, we were very merry
We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry
And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear
from a dozen of each we had bought somewhere.
The sky went wan, the wind came cold,
the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold.

Mark Twain, from A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court:
And so I sighed, I couldn't help it...and yet, there is no sense in sighing. But that is the way we are made - we don't reason where we feel. We just feel.

Ani Difranco:
Oh how I miss substituting the conclusion to confrontation with a kiss. And oh how I miss stepping up to the edge and jumping in, like I could feel the future on your skin.
[so that one might be cheating a little, because I've surely heard the song more recently than a year ago, and also it's in one of the collages I made, so I've read it there too. Nonetheless it's one of my favorite Ani lyrics.]

This one is from an unknown author, and I don't think that I truly understand all of it, but it just sounds so powerful to me:
Tell me not, in mournful numbers, life is but an empty dream! For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real! Life is earnest! And the grave is not it's goal, dust thou art till dust returnest was not spoken of the soul.

Now a cute one, also with an unknown author:
When the tide of life upsets you and the current overturns your boat, don't waste tears on what might have been - just lie on your back and float!

Okay, one more, and this one I know I only read once. It's by Kurt Vonnegut and is from his book with a title something like "Man Without a Country:"
I am suing tobacco companies. I am suing the tobacco companies because they promised me that I would be dead long ago. And I'm not. I never wanted to be alive when the three most powerful men in the world were named Dick, Bush, and Colon.

Okay, okay, I lied, one more :) This one's from Bart Simpson:
I don't know why I did it. I don't know why I enjoyed it. And I don't know why I will do it again.

So what do you reckon folks? Do you have any quotes you can share with me so I can start to build my collection again? I really truly would appreciate them all!!! colon parathesis exclamation point

Goodnight! Sweet dreams! Adieu, adieu, adieu!

Carabeaner

Comments

  1. I have a ton too!!! I've been writing them down in my journal for the past year, and almost all have something to with traveling. When I get back to my apartment tonight I'll shoot some your way.

    ALSO, best picture ever!!!!!! I love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your quotes file! here's another of my favorites, but I had to look it up:

    "Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong. " - Babe Ruth, from the Sandlot

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." -Nehru

    also, check out my blog- every so often i'll post one for ya :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my favorite Shel Silverstien poem:
    "listen to the mustn'ts, child, listen to the don'ts,
    listen to the souldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts,
    listen to the never haves, then listen close to me,
    anything can happen, child, anything can be."

    I love you tons, child
    heart me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts