Happy Heart

It hits me sometimes. Like a warm feeling in the chest. Happiness. A heart that feels full but light at the same time. Not full and dense and heavy. Not a rain cloud that hangs dense and low over the ground. This feeling is more like a heart that is filled with a fluffy white cloud that rises high in the air. And probably has a rainbow shooting from it. And maybe a unicorn perched on top.

That is how my heart feels when I am happy.

Happy place.
Beach on a sunny day with my family.

When I feel like all of the pieces of my life are resting gently and snuggly against one another.

The kids. The work. The friends. The husband. The rest of my family members. The way I spend my days and how easily I sleep at night. The weather and the way my clothes fit. How much watermelon I have in my life and whether the bottle of gin at home is empty or full. The people I see everyday and the strangers who smile and engage in conversation with me when I hold the door open for them (that's the dream - every time I hold the door open for someone, if they smile back that's great! If they smile back AND say thank you, that's perfect!! IF they smile back AND say thank you AND engage in conversation with me.... ohmyalksdjfldjfkljggoodness that is the BEST! Which I feel like maybe explains something about me to you. Talking to pleasant strangers is the best.)

I live to be happy. I breathe for it and love for it and wish for it every time the clock shows 11:11. And base level, for me, is a mild sense of happiness. Not something you would point out or try to label - "I feel happy today." But simply an absence of any sense of sadness. That's the base.

Some days there is a sense of sadness, a heart that feels full and dense and low to the ground. Of course there is! You can't move across the globe from every single person who knew you at all before you were 21 and not feel any sadness. I don't think you can be a parent without some sort of weight or sadness, either. The strongest type of love comes with responsibility and a little weight (and also a tiny dose of fear for all the things that may happen to these gorgeous little people that is totally out of your control.)

What a gift! What a delight. What a pleasure to be able to actively choose happiness.

So today, I feel it. A heart that is so full and light and maybe even a little glittery. And I feel so lucky to live life this way. And I want more people to experience life like this, too. How do I do that? I can write. And share photos that make me happy. But what else? How do I help people make the choices - or even realise that they have the power to make the choices! - to make themselves happy?

What do you think, friends?

Comments

Popular Posts